Welcome to Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing & Health Sciences
For any questions about these requirements listed below, please contact:
Scott Geschwandner, Student Services Officer
217-228-5520 Ext. 6990,
Student Services Requirements
For online RN-BSN and MSN students:
You are not required to complete a background check, drug screen or provide proof of immunizations history as part of your admissions requirements for acceptance into the program. However, you may be asked to do so as part of your experiential learning. Click here for your checklist of requirements for Online RN-BSN and MSN students. Please return all documents to:
Student Services Officer
1112 Spring Street
Quincy, IL 62305
For Basic Track, Second Degree, and Respiratory Care Students:
Below is a list of requirements for on-campus students, that must be completed prior to beginning your first year of classes.
Before attending nursing or health sciences classes for the first semester, you are required to submit/upload copies of the following items to our NEW document management site Castle Branch! You will first need to create an account with Castle Branch at https://portal.castlebranch.com/BK65. Please remember your account credentials as you will need to access the site often.
Castle Branch also has an app available for both Apple and Android devices, search Castle Branch or myCB.
Please have the following requirements met NO LATER THAN AUGUST 1st:
Print a personal checklist of requirements to ensure you've completed everything!
- BRCN Registration forms (located on your CastleBranch portal)
- Two MMR immunizations or lab or physician certified evidence of immunity – Waiver available.
- Hepatitis B Series – This is a three step series with the second injection coming one month after the first and the third coming 5 months after the second injection. There are a total of three injections. Waiver available.
- Mantoux TB skin test – If this is your first TB test or more than two years have lapsed since you last received it you are required to get a two-step TB test. The 2-step is as follows: initial test is done and read 48 hours later; 2nd test is done one to two weeks later and is read 48-72 hours later. After the two step test, you are required to have one done annually. Waiver available. (Annual TB skin test does not conflict with other injections, and may be taken at any time. TB skin tests are available without cost from most Public Health clinics.)
- Tetanus (Td) within the last 10 years – Waiver available upon request.
- CPR - The CPR certificate must be American Heart Associations, BLS for Healthcare Provider. Classes are conducted by Blessing Hospital. For information, contact Education Services at ext. 4830. You may also visit the American Heart Association’s web site to find other locations and times. Estimated CPR cost every 2 years- $60
- Proof of Health Insurance – A copy of the card. BRCN does not sell health insurance nor process health insurance claims. Waiver available.
If you choose to waiver out of receiving any immunizations, understand that you may be asked to leave clinical due to outbreaks or patient safety. You will also be responsible for the time lost. Be aware when scheduling immunizations that there could be a wait between injections if you are having more than one immunization done. Contact your local health department if you have any questions about multiple immunizations. There is a 30-day wait between the first and second Hepatitis injections, and a five month wait between the second and third Hepatitis injections.
- Drug Screen – Every student must submit to a drug screen no more than 30 days prior to the start of the sophomore year, but must be completed by the end of the first week of classes. This must be done through Blessing Physician Services (Office of Sports and Occupational Medicine. Suite 101, 927 Broadway, Quincy IL.) To schedule an appointment call (217) 223-8400 x 7950.
- Criminal Background Check – Every student is required to do a background check no more than 60 days prior to the start of the start of the sophomore year, but must be completed by the end of the first week of classes. This is done online and is needed from the student’s home state and/or Illinois. Access the background check link: https://portal.castlebranch.com/BK65.
Student Criminal Background Check Policy Statement
All Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing & Health Sciences students are required to undergo a criminal background check prior to beginning clinical at the sophomore level. The Illinois State Law authorizing this check is the “Health Care Worker Background Check Act.” The law was enacted for the protection of the frail and disabled citizens of the State of Illinois. The academic programs of Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing & Health Sciences require clinical experiences that may include the treatment of children, developmentally disabled, or vulnerable adults. The criminal background check includes self-disclosure of your criminal history and investigation of your criminal history by the Illinois State Highway Patrol and/or in the state in which the student has permanent residence. If a student is from Missouri they need both an Illinois and a Missouri background check. If they are from Illinois only, just the Illinois background check is required. The student has a right to (a) obtain a copy of the criminal record report, (b) challenge the accuracy and completeness and (c) request a waiver. The student may be withdrawn from clinical courses or may be dismissed from the program if the Criminal History Record Check shows a conviction of any of the criminal offenses listed in the Student Handbook.
All students are required to comply with the following dress code during pre-clinical, lab, and/or clinical experiences unless otherwise stated in a course syllabus:
Wear only clean, pressed, well fitting (not tight) BRCN uniforms.
- Shoes that are soft soled and skid resistant. Shoes must be clean with a closed top and toe. Shoes must be professional in appearance. No canvas or cloth shoes are to be worn. Shoelaces and socks are to be clean and in good repair.
- Wear a mid-thigh to knee length BRCN white lab coat that buttons down the front.(Lab coat is optional)
- Maintain a clean, well-groomed physical appearance. Hair must be secured and off of the collar.
- Semi-professional dress with a lab coat and identification is required for pre-clinical preparations unless otherwise stated in course syllabus. No sandals, open toe shoes, jeans, or sweat suits are allowed at any time.
- Jewelry is discouraged for infection control requirements; however, 2 sets per ear of small, post earrings, one chain, one wedding or personal ring is allowed. NO bracelets allowed on wrists. Ankle bracelets must be covered and worn under socks or hose.
- Artificial nails are not allowed. All body piercing or tattoos deemed offensive in nature must be covered.
- Strong perfume, cologne, and after-shave are discouraged in the clinical areas due to patient sensitivity.
*Additional details of personal hygiene and dress code can be found in the Student Handbook
Business Casual Dress Code
- The Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing & Health Sciences polo shirt and khaki slacks or skirt are worn when representing the College. Examples of events that represent the College are professional service activities, recruitment events, and some clinical experiences in the community or at community agencies.
Required clothing items to purchase-Estimated Cost $125:
- Blessing Blue Scrubs with BRCN logo
- Lab coat or scrub jacket (optional)
- BRCN Polo Shirt
All items are to be purchased at The Attic located on the 1401 Broadway in Quincy, IL.
Or on our website at our online store: http://store.allcustomwear.com/blessingrieman/
**Gently Used Scrubs are available at the Blessing-Rieman Caring Cupboard in the Student Services Building**
Items you will need:
Estimated supplies cost- $120
- Water resistant watch with a second hand (smart watches are not allowed)
- Pen light
- Blood pressure cuff-adult
- $10 for your mailbox key and badge backer, Cash only (Collected at BRCN Registration Days)
A limited supply of Blood Pressure Cuffs and Stethoscopes are available for purchase in the Student Service office.
The book lists can be purchased through the website on that page or you can get the ISBN number from the book list and purchase the books from a place of your choosing.