What’s required to participate in online learning?
All that is required to participate in online learning is a computer connected to the Internet. To minimize technical problems, your computer must be relatively new (not more than three years old) and should be PC-compatible (Macintosh computers are not officially supported by BRCN).
For an optimal experience you should have a "broadband" internet connection. Dial up or other slow internet connection speeds may seriously impact the quality of your experience.
To test your internet connection speed please click here:
While you do not have to be highly skilled in using computers to be successful in an online course, you do need the skills to perform basic computer tasks.
These skills include:
- Knowledge of Web browsing and the use of search engines such as Google and Bing.
- How to use a web browser, such as Google Chrome or Internet Explorer to navigate the internet.
- How to use email applications to send and receive email and use file attachments.
- How to use a word processor such as Microsoft Word.
- How to manage, copy, and save, files and folders on your computer using a file manager application such as Windows Explorer.
BRCN currently uses the Blackboard Learning Management System (9.1) for its online courses.
- Windows 7, Windows 8, or above.
- Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion", or above (Not officially supported).
- Google Chrome, newest version (Recommended)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11, or above.
- Mozilla Firefox 31, or above.
Other Recommended software:
- Microsoft Word 2010 or newer, Adobe Acrobat Reader.
BRCN Blackboard: https://brcn.blackboard.com
CAMS Student Portal: https://camsportal.brcn.edu/student/login.asp